Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Song-by-Song Review of Raising Up the Dead: Miss You

He was her first love
She was his first heartbreak
She didn’t trust him
That was her second big mistake
She took a lover
She took the medicine
She took another
But all she thought about was him

And the smile that was on his face
As she walked away

I miss you and I need to
Cause when I’m back in your arms it’s twice as sweet

She threw her hair back
In a prophetic turn
It was expected
It was a swift and lovely blur

And compelled as she was to leave town
She was turning around

Love is calling my name
Love keep calling my name
Love

Another representative “she.” Another set of fairly ambiguous lyrics. The general feeling I get from this song is one of “prodigalness.” Yes, I just made up that word. This “she” is on the run from a true love. Though she tries to be flippant and seem unconcerned about her love (throwing her hair back, taking medicine), she can’t leave. She has to turn around. She wants Love to call her name. Her mistake was in not trusting her first love.

Now, I don’t want to make a mistake myself in ascribing overly theological themes to every song. So, while I think there could be a case made here that the church is this “she,” who has wandered from her first love (Christ), taken medicine (see Derek Webb’s song “Medication”), taken other loves (see Derek Webb’s song “The Church”), and exhibits aspects of predestination (prophetic turn, it was expected), I think this could also just be a great story song in which we can find ourselves. We are people who have walked away from the one(s) who truly love us, we feel ashamed by our actions, feel compelled to leave town. But we are constantly being called back into relationship with God and with others. Love is calling our name.

Speaking of that lyric, the music in the bridge is, once again, excellent. Danielle’s vocals are extremely powerful on this song.

No comments: